[Gllug] Spam

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Fri Oct 14 10:50:26 UTC 2005

On 14/10/2005, "Mike Leigh" <mike.leigh at hornbill.com> wrote:

>Yes that's true.  However I think I would have a hard time really
>proving that it was them that did this.  Say a prominent company gave
>out the address that I had given to them and told them not to give this
>to anyone else.  The new spam mail that I receive from the new company
>will just be like any other spam that I may receive.  I can't be 100%
>sure that the company got my address from someone that gave it to them
>or that they mass mailed me from somewhere.  Chances are that it was
>from that source but the proof would be hard to get I think.

Actually, incredibly easy to do.  Sign up to www.sneakemail.com and get a
unique email address every time you have to give an email address for
anything.  I do this for everything that asks for an email address
online.

Ticketing companies are the worst: for example, the two spams that
arrived this morning from Fulham FC which used an email address passed
on to them by Seetickets.com when I'd previously bought tickets at
Craven Cottage.  I always click the "don't send me anything" button
(after carefully reading and parsing the wilfully confusing language
they use, "tick if you do not want to not receive emails from our
carefully selected spam partners").
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk