[Gllug] Spam

Mike Leigh mike.leigh at hornbill.com
Fri Oct 14 10:45:28 UTC 2005

> Richard Jones wrote:
> This is clearly illegal under the Privacy and Electronic
> Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.  You should
> find out which companies are doing this and complain to the
> Information Commissioner.

Yes that's true.  However I think I would have a hard time really
proving that it was them that did this.  Say a prominent company gave
out the address that I had given to them and told them not to give this
to anyone else.  The new spam mail that I receive from the new company
will just be like any other spam that I may receive.  I can't be 100%
sure that the company got my address from someone that gave it to them
or that they mass mailed me from somewhere.  Chances are that it was
from that source but the proof would be hard to get I think.

Is it up to me to prove it was them that gave out my address or up to
them to prove that they didn't ?

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk