[Gllug] suse 9.3

Peter Grandi pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK
Sun Oct 23 16:51:15 UTC 2005

>>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:50:33 +0100, "Diana Scott"
>>> <dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk> said:

dianascott1> Hi I am a newbie and need some help with suse
dianascott1> 9.3. Suse said it is very good for first time user
dianascott1> but after i have installed 1.8Gb of software from
dianascott1> the dvd.

It is indeed pretty well packaged, and fairly newbie friendly.
I usually recommend to newbies to try SUSE, Mandrake, Kubuntu or
Knoppix.

One of the main aspects of this is indeed the large numbers of
ready made packages and the graphical system for system
administration, as well as extensive documentation and online
resources.

Some newbie friendly resources:

  http://portal.SUSE.com/sdb/en/
    The SUSE issue database.

  http://WWW.Novell.com/support/products/linuxprofessional/
    News and support for SUSE Pro users.

  http://hitMe.resetButton.DE/
    Database of available packages.

  http://WWW.SUSE-IRC.org/
  irc://IRC.EU.Freenode.net/#SUSE
    The online IRC help channel for SUSE.

SUSE comes with a rather good manual in PDF format, the latest
edition is on the DVD or here:

  http://WWW.OpenSUSE.org/Documentation

dianascott1> I couldn't find the email Evoultion program on the
dianascott1> desktop menu list. I don't even think it was
dianascott1> installed after all.

Probably you selected the KDE desktop for installation, and that
has by default another PIM/email program with similar features,
Kontact/KMail/...

If you really want Evolution, you can use the YaST2 package
manager to add the relevant packages, which have the obvious
names. Using on of the sites above to search:

  http://hitMe.resetButton.DE/cgi-bin/pintest.pl?searchstring=evolution&type=cd&dl=ftp&version=9.3d_i386

In general to be happy with SUSE you should really invest some
time looking at YaST2 and its documentation, as it is the
program that can do virtually all the maintenance work you
may need.

dianascott1> I could find the Jukebox program but it couldn't
dianascott1> decode the mp3 files.

Probably you need to install the MP3 encoding and decoding
libraries, for which there are some issues. This is explained in
the various help pages in the sites mentioned above. Or for
example here:

  http://Amarok.KDE.org/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,26/func,view/id,6438/catid,8/

A discussion of the issues for SUSE 10.0 (and they are the same
as for 9.3) is here:

  http://WWW.OpenSUSE.org/Restricted_Formats

dianascott1> Do you know how to update Firefox from 1.0.1 to
dianascott1> 1.0.6?

Well, by downloading a newer package. But this is probably going
not to be an official SUSE package; you probably should consider
adding the user-contributed, unofficial package sites for SUSE
9.3 to the YaST2 configuration. Again how to do so (it is fairly
easy and quite useful) can be found in the links above, or here
for version 10.0, where again the issues are just the same:

  http://WWW.OpenSUSE.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories

Finally, the wording of your questions above is mostly OK, but
just in case consider this page: http://tinyUrl.com/bz8v4

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk