[Gllug] Re: suse 9.3

Craig Millar gllug at craigmillar.org
Sun Oct 23 16:36:44 UTC 2005

On 23/10/05 16:50 +0100, Diana Scott wrote:
> I am a newbie and need some help with suse 9.3. Suse said it is very good
> for first time user but after i have installed 1.8Gb of software from the
> dvd.

It's generally pretty user friendly and easy to configure IMHO. Without
wanting to provoke a religious war with our hirsute debian promoting pals (who
also have the strangest taste in t-shirts), I'd say it is one of the slickest
distros out there. But I digress.

> I couldn't find the email Evoultion program on the desktop menu list. I don't even think it was installed after all.

It's entirely possible. What are you using to check that the package is
installed? It should be available from YaST - as one of Novell's flagship
products I'd have thought it was on the installation disk. I can't be sure of
this because I don't have a 9.3 disk about. (10 is now available - check out
http://www.opensuse.org ) It is adverstised on the Novell website though
here: http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/evolutionkontact.html

Failing that, you need to have a look at your installation sources in YaST or
consider using apt to manage your software.

> I could find the Jukebox program but it couldn't decode the mp3 files.

As mentioned in Steve's reply, Novell opted out of mp3 support - to cover
their own backs legally in the event of a lawsuit. However, it *is* available
easily enough with an internet connection and without having to resort to the
ghastly RealPlayer.

Go to Yast and click on installation sources. Add and installation source,
and in server name box place this line:
http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/9.3/
Don't worry about the second box asking for a directory - it'll pick it up
from the above.

You ought now to be able to install kdemultimedia3-arts-mad which will permit
the likes of amarok and juk to play mp3s. Ok, definitely amarok - don't use
juk, but i imagine so.

Have a look at this article here about installation sources - it's for
version 10.0 but should be applicable for 9.3
http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/42/

> Do you know how to update Firefox from 1.0.1 to 1.0.6?

You'll need to go to the command line and locate the rpm for Firefox
(assuming this is what you have downloaded) and type (as root):
rpm -Uhv MozillaFirefox-1.0.7-0.1.rpm
or whatever it's actually called.

Alternatively, locate it in kde and right click and select to install the rpm
from Yast - root password will be requested.

> Can you help me please?

Trying!

> Diana

Craig