[Gllug] ubuntu wireless

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Thu Oct 20 09:04:39 UTC 2005

> The only password you may require would be the WEP key which is
> currently disabled. You should be aware that anyone else in range of
> your router could also ask for an address and start to use it so you may
> want to look at WEP next.

You should also consider the following if your router/ubuntu supports it.

Turn on MAC Address restrictions, this way only designated MAC addresses
can connect to the router, not fool-proof as MAC Addresses can be spoofed
but better than leaving it open.

Disable SSID broadcast, that is if Ubuntu can connect to a named wireless
network without it the SSID being broadcast. I don't use wireless on my
Ubuntu so I can't say either way. This means that someone has to know your
network is there as a scan of the area will not indicate the existence of
your network.

I know of some software that does not support the second feature which is
why I used the caveat of Ubuntu supporting it.

Be careful when turning on WEP. It helps if you have a wired connection to
the router as well, just in case. The first time I turned it on the WEP key
didn't want to be recognised so I had to go to the wired connection and reset
a few things so I could get back on tot he network.

HTH

Simon

http://www.csfb.com/legal_terms/disclaimer_external_email.shtml

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk