[Gllug] LVM Problem

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 09:03:06 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:
> Hmm thinking about this further how about if I vgexport the volume
> group and then reimport it ie vgimport. Either way it looks like I'm
> going to need to reboot it to do it and I would like to know all the
> ins and outs before I go ahead as once its down time is extremly
> limited. If I can do it with out having to bring the machine down it
> would be even better.
> This is growing my opion that LVM is just another thing to go wrong.

Does the machine have firewire? It may be a long shot and I don't know
how busy the machine is but you could hot-add a firewire (or USB2 if you
had to) drive, make it a PV and add it to the group. Then run pvmove to
shift the running volumes to the FW drive. You can then reconfigure the
drives in the machine and then pvmove to shift it all back again. I have
done this with a desktop machine and it continued to operate fine during
the moves. It would all depend on load and I/O requirements. Just an idea.

Stephen
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk