[Gllug] [OT] Phone Scam?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Oct 29 10:42:03 UTC 2005

Steve Nelson wrote:
> Chaps,
>
> Probable phone scam... laomao received a text message saying a courier
> had tried to deliver something, please call the provided number to
> arrange re-delivery, citing reference foo.
>
> Calling the number results in a series of believable recorded messages
> and menus... after about 5 minutes of this I became suspicious - no
> company name was ever used, and it just felt wrong
>
> laomao says that she used up over a pound in credit on her phone for
> less than a minute...
>
> The number was 07090297367
>
> I guess there's nothing one can do - I've probably wasted more than 20
> quid and feel a bit gullible - but just making you all aware.

The 0709-02* series number is a personal number rerouter... ( ref:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/16311.htm
), so essentially someone has signed up with one of the pn providers and
got their calls forwarded out elsewhere against an extra charge or
something such. AFAIK the charges against this sort of a service is
fixed and should be well below £1/min ...

There were also a couple of companies using 0709 01 numbers for VoIP
data->pstn termination iirc, not sure if that's still going on or not.
perhaps 0709 02 ( because its buy'able from BT ) is also being used for
some such activity ?

Not that it helps but there have been quite a few of these 0709 number
scams reported recently, take a look through some of these :
http://tinyurl.com/7rnl3

and make sure you checkout http://www.icstis.org.uk/ make a complaint
also ask for details of the provider who owns that  number block /
netblock.

- K
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk