[Gllug] [OT] Phone Scam?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Oct 29 10:49:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 06:14 -0400, Steve Nelson wrote:
[snip]
> The number was 07090297367
>
> I guess there's nothing one can do - I've probably wasted more than 20
> quid and feel a bit gullible - but just making you all aware.

If it's a premium rate number (as it sounds like being) complain to
ICSTIS with full details.  Unlike most of these regulatory bodies (e.g.
TPS and FPS) they seem actually to have teeth and be willing to use
them.  I complained to them a couple of years ago about a scam involving
an e-mail which said effectively,

"Welcome to our direct e-mail list.  You will now receive hundreds of
adverts from selected companies.  Check your e-mail regularly or your
in-box is liable to be swamped.  To unsubscribe from this service, fax
us on <premium rate number>."

I complained to ICSTIS, expecting no more than the usual perfunctory
ack, but instead a few of weeks later I got a full report, detailing how
the scammer had been cut off, had received no revenue from the line and
had been fined a substantial sum (five figures).  They also provided
details (name and address) of the scammer in case I wanted to take
further legal action myself.  Altogether a very satisfying response.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk