[Gllug] retro computing

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 7 12:23:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Christian Smith stipulated:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Nix wrote:
>
>>And that's the *real* reason distros have been dropping 386 support.
>>(There's also the minor fact that almost nobody has working hardware
>>anymore, and the 486 has now been on sale for *twenty years*...)
>
> Come on, not quite. The 386 has been on sale for nearly 20 years (1986) I
> believe, but the i486 was not released until 1989.

You're right; Oct 1985 for the 386, 1989 for the 486 (and I bought a 486
the following year).

I misremembered.

Fifteen years is extreme enough.

--
`Next: FEMA neglects to take into account the possibility of
fire in Old Balsawood Town (currently in its fifth year of drought
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk