[Gllug] dual voip + landline phone for linux

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Wed Oct 26 15:00:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:29:11 +0100, Martin N Stevens
<budgester at budgester.com> wrote:

>> If I go for the ATA and an analogue phone, or digium card + FXS
>> + analogue
>> (to begin with) would this limit the availability of features? I'm not
>> sure
>> how featureful your average VOIP phone (like a grandstream) is compared
>> to analogue phones of the same price.

I use an ATA as I had an existing Dect phone and extra handset.  The voip
dect phones have had bad reports.  And I find even expensive voip phones
bulky and a bit plastic like?  As someone has said voip phones/ATAs do
need a power source (and an RJ45 connection of course).

I also use the cheap £15 modem as an analogue gateway to my BT line and it
works fine.  I don't know where you can get these now (probably ebay).  Go
with one of these to start with and use a softphone whilst you find your
feet.

Asterisk at home (http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/) is a good place to
start if you have a spare PC (it overwrites everything).  I like the AMP
front end that coems with this to get you started or if you don't want to
edit the config files manually.  I ended up using Centos on a machine and
then loading the asterisk at home stuff.

Have a look at www.voiptalk.org for voip phones and ATAs, plus also a voip
service (1.4p minute to most destinations (except expensive UK mobiles!),
cheaper if you make lots of calls via their silver service).  They also
provide an inbound service if you fancy your own 0870 number (or pay for a
regional number, pretend you live somewhere nice!!).

Asterisk is great, just wish I could find a UK weather service to link
into, I'm tired of knowing its nice in New York!!

Don't forget to link in your friends so you can make/receive free calls
 from them!

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk