[Gllug] just preaching to the converted !

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 16:17:00 UTC 2005

Jason Clifford writes:

>> I am beginning to conclude that windows has been the
>> victim of its own success but if Linux became as big
>> as microsoft OS's have been - would it too suffer as bad?
>
>No it wouldn't.

Wrong. It would. Linux certainly has a better set of foundations to build
on than Windows, and has a head start because of that. But there are more
than enough companies that are willing to throw away that advantage in
order to gain market share. See, for example, a well known "easy to use"
distribution that runs everything as root.

Were Linux to have become hugely popular (in a dominant market share kind
of way), I can guarantee that a large part of that market would be made up
of similarly easy to use distributions.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk