[Gllug] just preaching to the converted !

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Oct 21 15:44:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, paul wrote:

> I used have the opinion that learning a new operating
> system took took too much time but its nothing
> in comparison to the efforts you have to make
> in order to keep win 2k afloat.  By my own observations
> I am beginning to conclude that windows has been the
> victim of its own success but if Linux became as big
> as microsoft OS's have been - would it too suffer as bad?

No it wouldn't.

Most of the problems associated with the Windows platform derive from it's
being inherently a non-connected single user system that is now being
deployed in multiuser, hostile networked environments.

Linux on the other hand is entirely developed in that multiuser, hostile
network environment.

Certainly there are a whole bundle of other problems Linux and other Free
Software systems have to overcome.

My feeling is that the approach being taken by the Ubuntu crowd may well
be the key to Linux finally taking a big chunk of the desktop market
beyond us geeks but history will have to tell on that one.

Jason
http://www.ukfsn.org/	 2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month
http://www.linuxadsl.co.uk/	  ADSL routers from £21.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk