[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 10:47:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 12:33:09PM +0200, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 20:42 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > I am not sure what your point is - on one hand you are saying that we
> > should have held the release back while the mirrors were updated, and
> > now you are saying that when you were asked to wait for a day, it is
> > 'not acceptable' ????
>
> It is 'not acceptable' that something claiming to be enterprise ready
> screws up[0] such a major thing.  The fact it can happen suggests the
> release procedures have not been thought through well enough.

I agree .. I would rather wait a day and have it right than risk even a small %age
of getting it wrong.

Part of the problem is that mirrors are updated with rsync, files are copied to the
mirrors one by one. This means that if someone like me then updates *my* mirror, also by
rsync, (which I then serve up to my home machines) then I risk not syncing up files
which are being copied to the mirror.

OK: won't often happen - but getting from 99% to 100% is very difficult. This
is what Jason & Martin are talking about.

> When people are running critical systems they must be 100% sure that
> they can trust that updates will not break a running system.  There's
> only two vendors I'd trust to get this right: Redhat and Debian.
>
> Mart.
>

> [0] I'll take Jason's word that this did happen, he's hardly likely to
> be telling pork pies.
>

> --

Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.