[Gllug] Can anyone spare a SUSE 7.x set?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 12:03:23 UTC 2005

On Thu 06 Oct, Justin Perreault wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am fighting with an Omnibook 900 to get it running linux for my wife.
> The two key problems I am aware of are:
> my difficulties getting pcmcia drivers to work for either the ethernet
> card or the cd-rw drive
>
> and
>
> my lack of exposure to other distributions
>
> While at Linux World Expo I spoke with Steve who showed me some knoppix
> pre-boot scripts that boot ISO images.
>
> However, I also spoke with Colin (I think) who recommended that I get my
> hands on a SUSE 7.1 or 7.2 (can't remember which) set.
>
> I am going to look into the first one more but as for the second one,
> can anyone please spare a SUSE 7.x set? I will provide it a good
> home. :)
>
> Cheers
> Justin

   The more recent the distro the greater the chance that it will recognise
your hardware and know the work-arounds to suit. Knoppix is based on the
unstable and testing distributions from Debian, but unless it is a very
recent Knoppix that means what is now the current stable distribution,
codenamed "sarge". There is a new installer with sarge, with documentation
on the website including errata for difficult hardware.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk