[Gllug] Exim4 with Debian Sarge

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 09:50:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 09:21:05AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:

>    Thanks for the help and advice.

No problem, although I'm not sure my advice is helping you get to where
you want to be...

Try this (applies for Debian sarge):

# apt-get install exim4-config

(or, if you already have it installed:

# dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
)

answer: Yes, you want the configuration in a myriad of small files
then, "mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail"
then, as the mail name, have "username.demon.co.uk"
then, a blank entry, unless you really want to constrain the listening
interfaces to a subset of all those available
then, a comma seperated list of all domains which you want email to be
handled locally for (i.e. not sent on to the smarthost for delivery). At
a minimum, you probably want
username.demon.co.uk,hostname.localdomain,localdomain.
then, a comma seperated list of your local LAN ranges (probably just
one, I guess) and I would suggest adding your static IP address from
Demon here too.
then, the name of Demon's SMTP relay
then, yes you want to hide the local name
then, accountname.demon.co.uk
then, well, it's up to you. I'd say no, as I don't mind making DNS
queries.

If you use Maildirs and don't use procmail, then you need to tell exim
to deliver to those instead of to mbox files in /var/spool/mail (the
default):

echo dc_localdelivery='maildir_home' >> /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf \
	&& update-exim4.conf && /etc/init.d/exim4 reload

I *think* that's the 'proper' way to do Maildir delivery with exim4 in
Debian, if using the split configuration that exim4-config provides...

I don't know if any of the above helps, although I think that's pretty
much how I'd set things up if I had an internal domain. As it is, I have
everything on public IP addresses using public hostnames (using a /29
from my ISP).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk