[Gllug] Exim4 with Debian Sarge

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 08:21:05 UTC 2005

   Thanks for the help and advice.

   What I actually tried to do with the new setup was to place the local
mailserver in the same numerical block as the rest of my local network, the
gateway being the "green" interface of an IPCop box, (perhaps I should have
put it on the orange interface?). The only way I found to set a reasonable
helo/ehlo output was to install debian sarge on the box giving it a box name
of "postman" in the domain "overview.demon.co.uk". I then gave the box an A
record as "postman" in /etc/bind/db.overview.demon.co.uk and a CNAME link to
that in /etc/bind/db.localdomain. It collects incoming mail from the demon
smarthost using POP3 and fetchmail.
   I tried to set exim4 to accept mail addressed to anything at localdomain
and anything at overview.demon.co.uk, also relay all outgoing mail from any
box within the localdomain numerical block to the outgoing demon smarthost.
   My old Acorn was set to give "From: user at overview.demon.co.uk" long
before I started learning about Linux, but I expect other boxes to give
user at box.
   I then tried to hide the name "user at box.localdomain" in the "From:  "
header line of outgoing emails by rewriting the headers as
"user at overview.demon.co.uk", but this triggered the problem with incoming
mail bouncing between "postman" and the demon smarthost.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk