[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Mark Field mnfield at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:28:09 UTC 2005

On 27/10/05, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:

> But it doesn't do that. If it did, I'd be in complete agreement
> with you. Running "yum update" does *not* install new software,
> unless the updated version has a new dependency. In that respect,
> my understanding is that it behaves identically to "apt-get update".
> Yet you seem quite happy to run that...
>
> Tet
> --

An apt-get upgrade will not upgrade any package that requires another
new package to be install as a requirement.  See below

debian_host:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  gnupg libbit-vector-perl libdbix-searchbuilder-perl libmime-perl ...
  lbxproxy libdps1 libice6 libmysqlclient12 ...

for instance gnupg was kept back from the upgrade because it would
have required the installation of two new packages which in this case
were libreadline5 and libusb-0.1-4. to upgrade those which have been
held back you must either do a dist-upgrade or an install of the
package which will pull in the updated version and the new
dependancies.

Mark
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk