[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 23:05:21 UTC 2005

Jason Clifford writes:

>> I recommend you take a minute of your time to really try and comprehend
>> how Redhat and CentOS do their Versioning.
>
>I do understand it and I'm of the opinion that it's dangerous and makes
>your distros unsuitable for enterprise applications.

You still haven't explained this. Where's the danger?

>If an update results in the automatic installation of new software - as
>this one did - without specific notice to the system operator you are
>significantly changing the system and in an enterprise environment that
>should not happen without proper review processes.

But it doesn't do that. If it did, I'd be in complete agreement
with you. Running "yum update" does *not* install new software,
unless the updated version has a new dependency. In that respect,
my understanding is that it behaves identically to "apt-get update".
Yet you seem quite happy to run that...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk