[Gllug] Spam

Robert Newson ran at qipod.wanadoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 15 17:02:06 UTC 2005

Tethys wrote:

> Robert Newson writes:
>
>>But it still has to cross the i/net to get to your smtp server, eating up
>>that bandwidth, and processing power on the relays on the way.
>
> No, it doesn't. If you reject it anywhere before the DATA phase, all
> you've received are a handful of bytes identifying who the message is
> from and who it's for.

And what about the machine sending it to you: it has accepted the message IN
FULL before relaying onto you where you reject it at the header stage.  And
the machine that accepted it before that; and the machine before that.  Or
are you telling me that when I send an email, only the header makes the full
journey to the final machine which has to accept the message before the smtp
server I'm using sends the data of the email to the next hop?

The spam messages I received had 5 'Received:' mail hops (assuming they can
be trusted).  Did the message header really make it all the way to the last
smtp server which then accepted it before the data of the message was sent
to those relays?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk