[Gllug] MP3/Ogg player hardware?

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 22:23:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:54:54AM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble declaimed:

> Hi folks.
>
> Well I managed to break the screen on my crappy little mp3 player.  The
> two things I liked about this player were its price (£13!) and the fact
> it had no memory of its own, instead using SD cards.  I didn't like the
> fact that you got no track names nor that it didn't support Ogg files.
>
> It still works, but without the screen working.  I reckon it's a good
> excuse to buy a replacement ;)
>
> Any suggestions?  I need something small and light, to rest on the
> handlebars of my bike (velcro holds the present on in place).  Would
> prefer something that can take SD cards or similar, and really like
> something that took Oggs.

It's perhaps a little bigger than you're after, although it's still smaller
than a Minidisc player, but I bought a Rio Karma a few months ago and it's
great. Excellent sound and battery life, docking station with ethernet
connection (useful for synching using Linux, which isn't supported by the main
GUI app), Ogg, FLAC, WMA, etc. and gapless playback - it'll not insert 2+
second gaps between the tracks like some other players do.

20Gb equates to about 700 CD quality FLAC files or 5,000 MP3s.

Cheers,

Richard.

--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk