[Gllug] Subversion verifymsg equivalent

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Sep 27 17:08:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Ian Scott wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am trying to migrate from cvs to subversion.   Is there anyone out there who
>has done this and has any tips/warnings?

I moved a small CVS repository to a subversion repository with cvs2svn:
http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/

It analyzes the CVS history, groups related commits together based on
commit date, and generates a dump file which can be imported to svn. The
dump file is in standard svnadmin dump/restore format. You can create a
temporary SVN repository, import the dump, and check the repository to
make sure everything went OK.

IIRC, CVS branches are created within the branches subdirectory, tags are
created in the tags subdirectory, and main branch is created in trunk.

You'll need file access to the repository, it won't work from a remote CVS
repository.

Pain was little with the small CVS repository I migrated, but I've never
tried a big repository, and it has been noted on the NetBSD mailing list
that moving something of that size is practical no-no. However, something
like NetBSD should be considered on the extra large side, so don't let
that put you off.

>In particular, is there an equivalent of verifymsg, so I can enforce that users
>have a valid bug ID to check in against?  I cannot find this in the docs or
>google - but I am probably looking in the wrong places!

Hooks, as noted in the other response, detailed here.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.html#svn-ch-5-sect-2.1

--
    /"\
    / \