[Gllug] Downgrading Kernel

Mamading Ceesay mamading at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 13:35:16 UTC 2005

On 17/09/05, Steve Nelson <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have received a slightly odd request from $client.  They want a new
> centos 4.1 build but with a 2.2.26 kernel.

That's really bizarre.  They want a modern userland and an ancient kernel?!

> Any suggestions?

Don't know the specifics of the application.  Presumably, it's not a
web app or a desktop app.  Perhaps some sort of server or middleware.

My suggestion, do a standard CentOS 4.1 install.  Install qemu and run
inside it a sufficiently ancient version of Red Hat (or whatever) that
defaults to a 2.2 kernel.  A qemu hosted distro can access the network
via TUN/TAP.

--
Mamading Ceesay

"[The reformers'] remedies do not cure the disease: they merely prolong it....
The proper aim is to try and reconstruct society on such a basis that poverty
will be impossible."
-- Oscar Wilde
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk