[Gllug] is KMAIL a good enough client for gllug?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Sep 8 16:29:05 UTC 2005

paul wrote:
> you continually misinterpret everything I've been saying
> I'm just saying - and lets put a cap on it now -
> I'm just saying that these days I am more used to working with graphical
> interfaces - generally they tend to to be self explanatory. and I have a lot
> better things to do with my time than trying to work out a whole different
> way of working if there are tools which suit my way better.
> If you like text interfaces thats cool by me - I won't  break a sweat trying
> to tell you you're wrong. I am not adopting a flippant tone or dismissing
> your preferences - you seem to take it personally that I have a preference or
> need that is different to yours.  Just how much older than fifteen are you?

I suspect this is an instance of easier-to-use v easier-to-learn.
People use either to mean "easy" depending on what they are used to.

GUI interfaces are generally easier to learn, but harder to use (you
have to keep picking your hands off the keyboard for starters).  For
applications that you use a lot it is worth the effort learning them
well, after which they become easier to use.  Email is almost certainly
one of those applications, and mutt is well worth the effort.

That said, I was a mutt user for years and years but now I use
Thunderbird, because it has far superior IMAP support and because the
multi-window paradigm works well for email.

I am a lot slower in Thunderbird though, and I still really miss not
using vi to write emails in - no other editor comes close :(

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk