[Gllug] [OT] TFT displays

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 18:02:50 UTC 2005

Chris Bell wrote:

>    But of course NIMBY. How many people are demanding that TV transmitters
> are removed? Most hospitals have an aerial farm on the roof, the staff in my
> local hospital keep in touch via mobile phones, yet notices request that all
> mobile phones are switched off. Mobile phone use is banned in petrol filling
> stations, yet filling station signs are being used to house mobile phone
> base station aerials.
>    Nearly as bad as politicians, do as I say and not as I do.

The majority of the population of this country actually believe the
silly scare stories promulgated by the press.  You'll actually be MUCH
more seriously irradiated by going outside on a sunny day than you ever
can be by mobile phone transmitters.

That said, the field strength around the 1MW erp rigs up at Crystal
Palace is quite amazing, but there are no physiological effects claimed
for the area around these sites.

Back in my broadcast days, we were always warned that "Microwaves frizz
your heirs!" - but the power output of those links were in the hundreds
of Watts, and were very narrow beams- not to be messed with!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk