[Gllug] [OT] How can I tell if I've just trashed the mobo/CPU

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 09:23:09 UTC 2005

Hi Adrian,

The best image of a Celeron chip, showing the pins, is
http://www.cpudb.com/imgs/cpus/intel/celeron-1000-b.jpg

This is the 370 pin staggered Plastic pin grid array (PPGA). If you inserted
the wrong way around and broke off a pin then it is likely to be AN37 (Column
1 starts where the two missing pins are and works it way across the chip to
the back row 37, top right in above image) or A37 (Top left in above image).

AN37 is referenced TDO (TAP output). This is used as Test Data output.
A37 is referenced VSS (Power) which fortunately is replicated over most of the
board such as F28 and B32.

Technically, the chip should still work without these to chips, and I almost
think some bright designer guessed this might happen at some point.

Unfortunately, it probably is not worth the effort of reattaching a pin,
although it is possible.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk