[Gllug] Threaded email clients

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Sep 7 07:58:10 UTC 2005

Wiehe, Simon wrote:

> Out of courtesy I do not top post on this list but in the working environment
> there are a lot of benefits to top posting and not editing. As a manager I can
> join a mail thread at any point and be able to see the history without having 40
> emails to read.

That drives me mad at work - you get copied in half way through a
discussion without any introduction because it's all there for you to
read. True it is all there but it's out of sequence so you have to keep
moving up and down in the mail, and most of the text is usually
signatures anyway.

There is also the problem of attachments - these are often essential to
understanding the context but are not preserved in the quoting system.

I would *much* rather be sent a complete thread of well trimmed mails
than try and wade through one email with messages quoted 40 deep.

The main reason that sensible quoting doesn't catch on is that Outlook
is so bad at dealing with it - it can't even display quoted sections in
different colours!

--

Sean
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk