[Gllug] Threaded email clients

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Sep 7 08:05:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 08:58 +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> >

> That drives me mad at work - you get copied in half way through a
> discussion without any introduction because it's all there for you to
> read. True it is all there but it's out of sequence so you have to keep
> moving up and down in the mail, and most of the text is usually
> signatures anyway.

You make a valid point.

In cases like this, I think that a simple NNTP type newsgroup or a
groupware web-type forum would be better.

At the Framestore, we set up an internal NNTP server for technical
discussions. It was easier to follow threads, and the concept was that
any technical fixes would be documented for years ahead, avoiding the
"I'll just search through my huge 1000's big INBOX. Ooops, I've deleted
that one"

I guess these days one of the many Web-based forums would be more
appropriate for company Intranet use.
Use the email to send a link to the discussion in question.
Also would make it more storage-efficient to have large files on the
Intranet webserver, rather than being sprayed around as attachments.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk