[Gllug] [OT] TFT displays

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Sep 26 10:21:38 UTC 2005

On 26/9/2005, "Sean Burlington" <sean at uncertainty.org.uk> wrote:

>It would still be possible for legislation to hobble hardware in this
>way - there are still very few people who have PC based PVR's so the
>horse hasn't gotten out of the paddock yet ...

True, but you'll find you can record stuff from a set-top DVB box onto
video or DVD.  Also, the plethora of hard-disk/DVD recording devices
that receive DVB.  The industry is pretty well established now.

Given this, if there were any introduction of legislation, I suspect the
manufacturers would go the quickest, cheapest route.  This is the kind
of route that allows us to very easily turn a region-locked DVD player
into a region-free one 8)

>I recently go myself a portable DVD player and was watching a film on
>the train for the first time last night - I was a bit shocked to find
>that I couln't skip either the FACT propoganda or the corporate logos -
>this was especially annoying as the film outlasted the battery!

That's most annoying.  Have a hunt around online and you will probably
find either a code to enter or a firmware update to disable this
"feature".
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk