[Gllug] is KMAIL a good enough client for gllug?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Fri Sep 9 15:41:15 UTC 2005

paul <paul at thinksolution.net> writes:

> On Friday 09 September 2005 14:35, Rich Walker wrote:
>> Ergonomics isn't an art form - it appears to be a very precise
>> science.
>
> I'd like to see you explain away the fact that, for example, The Bauhaus,
> seemed to design ergonomic utensils and furniture etc, while competing with

Aesthetic Minimalism?

> other design movements also with a massive following The Bauhaus factory
> claimed theirs were prefect ergonomics while the competitors also had
> claims to the same statement.

Any artist can make any claim.

A scientist can make measurements, propose a theory, and make further
measurements to attempt to disprove it.

An engineer counts the number of unsupported fine wrist movements made by
someone performing the task, and then attempts to minimise that number,
since unsupported fine wrist movements tend to lead to carpal tunnel
syndrome.

And a dance theorist (Laban, say) generates a notation to describe
movement for choreography, and then goes and applies it to industrial
ergonomics and process modelling (Another impressive hack, IMHO)

> Mutt - Kmail    you like it - use it ergonomics is an art form - I have yet
> to find a precise science based outside of mathematics and geometry
> all else is simply theory and probability

I would refer you to, say, "Ergonomics: Man in his working environment"
by K.F.H. Murrell, (C) 1965, many reprints. A fine fat book I keep under
my elbow, as it offers some additional wrist support I need. :->

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk