[Gllug] recovering files from USB flash drive

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Sep 8 15:56:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 11:23:38AM +0000, J F wrote:
> Then I tried to decrypt the .tar file: GPG asks for the passphrase
> then proceeds to decrypt the file using the secret key, but it stops
> after a while and gives me a zlib error. I seems the GPG file was
> damaged too. The file was around 170MB and GPG manages to decrypt
> around 40MB. I am able to untar this 40MB file, but obviously it
> gives me an error saying the archive is incomplete. Does GPG or Tar
> have a recovery feature?

zlib is apparently recoverable.  It is apparently possible to resynch
with the data stream.  It must use blocks or something.

Anyway, try these pages.  It'll probably require custom modification
to work with PGP instead of gzip:

http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/hacking/gzrt/gzrt.html
http://www.gzip.org/recover.txt

Rich.