[Gllug] is KMAIL a good enough client for gllug?

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Sep 8 16:00:28 UTC 2005

On Thursday, 8 Sep 2005, paul wrote:
>>Here in the reality-based community
>That's what I'm talking about - in reality things tend to get better
>over time - It is generally the ethos of open source software
>isn't it?

I certainly hope the ethos of free software isn't vague platitudes.
Some things get better over time; some things don't. Consider the slow
strangulation of Usenet, or the general state of the art in Web design
(admittedly better these days, but a few years ago things were
certainly getting worse every year.)

>I don't know which community YOU come from but it's certainly
>not based in reality. Read my words  I said I wanted something more
>modern !

Yes, and I said that perhaps you should assess functionality not
appearance.

>The aesthetic of a software is usually in line with its functionality

True, but not in the way you mean; in many areas the text-based tools
are highly functional when compared to the GUI tools, because effort
has not been wasted on chrome.

>isn't it needs redesigning - what's the point of owning a mouse if I cant
>use it!!!!!!

And I suppose if you had bought a humming-recognition unit for your
computer you'd insist on a humming-driven mail client. Which would
also be stupid. The fact that you own a mouse does not make it useful
for a particular task.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Brieday, August.