[Gllug] SANs

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Sep 29 15:41:26 UTC 2005

Steve Sims wrote:
> Now, our primary web and database servers are Xserves, and we're very
> happy with them, so the thought was to get an Xserve RAID, and run
> Xsan.  Whack a few fiberchannel cards into our existing servers,
> install the right client software, and then we'll be sorted with a  much
> nicer, more scalable storage system.  Or so the theory goes.
> Unfortunately we're not in a "money is no object" position, but I  think
> we can find the budget for the Apple based solution, or  similarly
> priced option.

One of the problems with the apple based solution is that you are buying
into pretty much dead end technology, something you dont need to face
with an Opteron + Linux based solutions ( x8664/linux will proll give
you a better bang for the buck anyway ).

Repeating whats already been said, with RHEL + CS-GFS, you get a solid,
supported platform from where to build onto ( or CentOS, if you prefer
that route, also works fine )

- K

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk