[Gllug] SANs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Sep 29 20:56:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Steve Nelson murmured woefully:
> I strongly recommend the use of GFS.  I personally use RHEL, & GFS 6.0
> (the slightly older version, which uses pool), but the latest employs
> LVM2.

A very nice filesystem, but, well, unless you have *lots* of storage, a
minimum of 32Mb per mounter is really rather expensive. I hoped this
might be a way to get a robust NFS replacement with distributed
storage. So much for that; hundreds of clients aren't practical unless
you have titanic disks :(

(I guess titanic filesystems are what this is targetted at, but dammit
even smaller filesystems need robustness and distributability, and right
now we ain't got it.)

The inability to run GFS on GNBD nodes also rules it out for anything
but large networks; most of my systems here import and export stuff over
NFS, but I'd still like most of the features GFS provides.

This project definitely seems to suffer from an intense focus on vast
datacentres --- it's always had this problem from the time it was a
Sistina project. I guess this is its raison d'etre, but dammit it's
frustrating. It's so *nearly* of more general utility...

And I've seen Al Viro's response to context-dependent path names.
That's not a feature that will long survive in the kernel proper...
(It's an idea that others have had before, but that doesn't mean it's
not horrible.)

--
`One cannot, after all, be expected to read every single word
 of a book whose author one wishes to insult.' --- Richard Dawkins
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk