[Gllug] Mail error

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Sep 2 21:21:00 UTC 2005

On Friday 02 Sep 2005 20:46, Alain Williams wrote:
<SNIP>
> You forget the other part of my question:
>
> 	Please let us know where the above error message is coming from.
>
> Ie which bit of software, where, ... is generating that message ? The
> machine that is sending the email, or the machine on which the
> member at my.list mail would end up ?

The server responsible for the intended recipient's mail - the
recipient's ISP or company mail server I guess. The source address of
the message is postmaster@<recipient's real domain> and the text I
posted is all I get except for a transcript of the original mail as
received by the server generating the error. The outgoing mail from the
list to recipients goes via my ISP's smtp server. That server gives me
useful errors which I can interpret and act upon.

Dylan

--
"The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out."
                                                (Chinese Proverb)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk