[Gllug] Mail error

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 19:46:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:34:24PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> On Thursday 01 Sep 2005 20:46, Alain Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:43:04PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I've recently started running a mailing list and keep getting the
> > > following from one member:
> > >
> > > Final-Recipient: rfc822;member at my.list
> > > Action: failed
> > >
> > > Useful! Basic question is whether this is an invalid address or
> > > what?
> >
> > my.list is not a valid domain ... what is the address that you are
> > trying to mail to ? I assume that it is not that.
>
> Right, in view of the responses: member at my.list is a "place holder" and
> I am not prepared to reveal the real email address. Perhaps the fake
> address should be more enlightening though. person at some.isp.com would
> be more suitable.
>
> Basically, when the list sends a mail, person at some.isp.com responds with
> an error. IT  DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE EXACT DESTINATION ADDRESS IS and
> I am absolutely not prepared to reveal the details of the target email
> address.

OK, you have answered the first part of my question 'member at my.list' is indeed
a valid email address; that is all that you needed to say.

You forget the other part of my question:

	Please let us know where the above error message is coming from.

Ie which bit of software, where, ... is generating that message ? The machine
that is sending the email, or the machine on which the member at my.list mail
would end up ?

Since, it appears, that the error is generated by machines in your own network
you should be able to look at the error/... logs on the machine that is
doing the bounce.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.