[Gllug] is KMAIL a good enough client for gllug?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Sep 13 06:54:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 07:25 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 23:37 +0100, Adam Bower wrote:
>
> > sister-in-law who was/is a professional typist and has been for 20
> > years, she found again that a M$ natural keyboard has given her 20% more
> > performance while typing and made most of the nasty nasty pains go
> > away).
> My mother was a trained typist.
> When first confronted by a computer keyboard, she drew herself up
> squarely to it, cocked her hands like a concert pianist and proceeded to
> pound the bejeesus out of it.
> This being a TRS80 at the time, I had thoughts of the motherboard
> cracking!

My mother-in-law is also a trained typist (as is my wife) and to watch
her trying to log on to a system can be painful because the only way she
knows how to type is fast and without looking.  It can take her several
attempts to get a password right, and suggesting that she does it more
slowly meets with incomprehension.

> Another peculiarity was using lowercase l for numeral 1
> Manual typewriters, if I'm not wrong, have no 1 key.

Some did; some didn't.  Likewise some used O for 0.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk