[Gllug] [OT] How can I tell if I've just trashed the mobo/CPU

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 08:00:48 UTC 2005

On Thu 08 Sep, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> Trying to build a PC from scratch, for the first time.
>
> Believe I have just trashed the CPU and it's housing (think I've broken
> a pin off which is now lodged there) - though CPU will fit in.

Check for gold plating where you think it may have snapped.
Is the RAM in the correct slot?
It is easy to mis-plug some data cables, and if you have a FDD they often
have pin 1 of the data cable reversed compared with other drives.
A modern ATX PSU will not start its main output if there is a short, does
the fan revolve?

Remove unnecessary (all?) add-on cards, and listen for a beep. If there is a
FDD socket, plug a drive in to the last connector on the cable and look for
a flashing LED on power up, note the 8-bit binary error code.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk