[Gllug] [OT] Can you still get 512 ADSL?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 09:07:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 09:30:09AM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> > Does anyone know if many places are still doing this speed and if you
> > can get anything pay monthly for around �10. I could direct them to
> > plusnet but that is �15. I HAVE checked out adslguide.org but thought I
> > would ask here as well.
>
> adslguide lets you sort ISPs based on TCO for the first year of service.
>
> 	http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/summarylist.asp?order=tco512k

Hmmmm: what that chart doesn't show is that some of these cheaper accounts
have a monthly transfer limit (often 1GB). You need to take that into
consideration -- no point in having 2Mb/s if you can use that up in an
hour or two!

That is before you think about the ''tekkie'' thinks like fixed IP, choosable
reverse DNS, ...

OK: for Granny (which IIRC this is what this thread started on) that may be enough.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>