[Gllug] is KMAIL a good enough client for gllug?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Sep 12 21:04:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Rich Walker murmured woefully:
> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005, Rich Walker gibbered uncontrollably:
>>> AAAARggggh... Wrong Emacs Fork ... gibber ....
>>
>> Sorry, I'm a follower of the Zawinskian/Wingist Schism ;}
>
> As a lapsed SubGenius, I'm a big fan of religious schisms... But Not
> That One! Heretic!

*laughs manically*

>> A strong arm, as a laptop is a hell of a lot heavier than a book?
>> Enough money to not worry about getting beer on your laptop?
>
> Surplus corporate high-end laptops - my current is a Thinkpad X22,
> weighs 1.6kg.

Ouch. A *lot* heavier than a book.

>               Also, all IBM stuff has proper "how to disassemble this"
> manuals for if you *do* spill beer in it.

It's spilling coke that's lethal. All that phosphoric acid.

>> That last category is far, far too large, and growing all the time. (For
>> my sins, I used to be in the `knew about it but thought it would never
>> happen to *me*' category. O thou fool.)
>
> I notice that the help-file for at least one of the Angband variants
> includes as an FAQ: "Why do my wrists hurt?" and some useful advice and
> stretching exercises...

Given how addictive angband and nethack and the other roguelikes are,
I'm surprised it doesn't answer `because you've been playing for 39 hours
without a break.'

>> on people is worse than useless. I tried an MS Natural keyboard once. I
>> didn't have RSI at the time but the damn thing nearly gave it to me on
>> its own. Ow.)
>
> Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Oh, and the split between the halves of the keyboard is in the wrong place
for touch-typists. True genius.

>> I have a union?
>
> I was going to point you in the direction of one, but their web-site is
> broken :->

That's reassuring.

>> guy who's job it is to do this, and he's not a pawn of the Evil
>> Management. In fact the upper management is so un-evil that the ultimate
>> boss has said that if this keyboard seems to work for me, he wants one
>> to kill off *his* RSI. It's middle management that's being
>> obstructionist.)
>
> I believe that's their main role in life.

s/main/only/

--- actually, no, they have another role, which only partially overlaps:
to bombard you with worthless paperwork and immensely ramified
procedures documents that nobody ever follows because if they did they'd
never get any work done.

--
`One cannot, after all, be expected to read every single word
 of a book whose author one wishes to insult.' --- Richard Dawkins
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk