[Gllug] Looking for a printer recommendation

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Tue Sep 6 00:13:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 10:10 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> Ivan recommended a second hand HP LaserJet 5.  I checked on EBay and
> they're going for around 50-100 pounds these days.  In particular
> someone was selling a reconditioned one for 60 quid + 25.00 (IIRC) for
> a toner cartridge + 8.00 delivery.

Doing the math for life expectancy of pages printed with costs for toner
and replacement parts I have commonly found Inkjets to be more costly on
a per page basis for B/W. Also the ink smudges if wet. :(

I Love HP Laser Jets they last for years, especially the older ones like
the LaserJet HP4. The older ones were really built to last.

Back in April(I think), not having the desk space for one, I opted for a
new Samsung ML-1520, was able to get it for 50 quid (on sale) from PC
world. Toner is still going, several reams of paper later. The toner can
cost as little as 45 quid for 3000 pages by the spec. Also comes with
drivers for Linux. The overall spec was pretty good in comparison to
more costly ones.

Better details at;

www.samsung.co.uk

My wife likes it and it fits within our budget. :)

--
Justin Perreault

Better questions lead to better answers-

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk