[Gllug] Does OWA rule unopposed?

paul paul at thinksolution.net
Fri Sep 30 13:00:43 UTC 2005

> paul asked about webmail and OWA and they are very different things
>
> - there are plenty of webmail systems out there such as squirrelmail, etc.
> - there are also plenty of collaborative web thingies like OWA that
> provide calenders, contact lists, etc such as Hula. open exchange,
> etc. Some even provide exchange integratrion or can pretty much act as
> a drop in replacement .
>
> Aaron.

Aaron is right,
OWA is basically a facility in MS Exchange that allows you to connect to your
exchange mail account via a web browser but also offers a bit more tacked on.
I think Scalix may do the job though because what I'm thinking is that most
offices are using MS XP on their client machines  with Outlook and - once
again it comes down to the fact that minimum disruption to the workplace is
vital  - so I found I would effectively needed a Linux replacement for MS
Exchange but one which would allow Outlook Web Access.
It wasn't simply that I needed Webmail, but as many of the facilities OWA
offers. Scalix promises to be all that, further investigation needed though.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk