[Gllug] Does OWA rule unopposed?

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri Sep 30 13:16:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 02:00:43PM +0100, paul wrote:
> OWA is basically a facility in MS Exchange that allows you to connect to your
> exchange mail account via a web browser but also offers a bit more tacked on.
> I think Scalix may do the job though because what I'm thinking is that most
> offices are using MS XP on their client machines  with Outlook and - once
> again it comes down to the fact that minimum disruption to the workplace is
> vital  - so I found I would effectively needed a Linux replacement for MS
> Exchange but one which would allow Outlook Web Access.
> It wasn't simply that I needed Webmail, but as many of the facilities OWA
> offers. Scalix promises to be all that, further investigation needed though.a

Have you got to use Exchange on the server end? I think that really
limits your options if you want the webmail app to provide access to the
'groupware' functionality in Exchange.

If you're not locked to a particular server, take a look at Bynari
Insight Server, Insight Connector [lets Outlook access Bynari Insight
like Exchange] and Insight WebClient [Squirrelmail based, provides all
outlook-type calendar/contact/email/... functionality]...

http://www.bynari.com/

We run it at my $WORK and it works very well. All the UNIX users access
it via IMAP or the web client, and the Windows users have Outlook +
Insight Connector + Insight Directory. The connector's fairly expensive
but much cheaper than Exchange especially if you have UNIX servers and
clue already inhouse.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk