[Gllug] Downgrading Kernel

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 13:09:59 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I have received a slightly odd request from $client.  They want a new
centos 4.1 build but with a 2.2.26 kernel.

I've downloaded the latest source, and run a make oldconfig, which seemed fine.

make dep however, complains about needing a 'newer' genksyms, and bottles out.

Not sure how to proceed - it could be it actually wants an 'older'
genkysms.  However, now I think about it, am I going to need to
migrate back to devfs as well, for a 2.2 kernel to play nicely?

One idea was to obtain an older modutils and build it from source, and
artificially place the older tools up the PATH hierarchy?

Not really sure how to proceed - its an odd request, but apparently
its how they like to run their application - under a 2.2 kernel, and
they're the client!

Any suggestions?

TIA,

S.