[Gllug] Looking for a printer recommendation

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Sep 5 09:27:23 UTC 2005

On 5/9/2005, "Jim Bailey" <jim at freesolutions.net> wrote:

>I would avoid injet because of the costs they are a false economy, if

I would disagree here.  The cheap upfront-cost inkjets are expensive to
run, that's the business model they use.  The cartidges are a complete
scam.  However, if you get one of the more-reasonably-upfront-price
inkjets, the ones for which you can buy reasonably-priced 30ml
cartridges, they're not so bad.

Depends on how much volume you're expecting to print.  If, like me,
you're doing a few pages a week, an inkjet makes sense (and in fact
mine was free and happens to also be a photocopier).  If you'll be
doing tens of pages a day, then laser is worth considering.

I'm not sure lasers can do particularly good quality colour though.  Do
you really need colour?  If you want photos printed, you're much better
off using one of the online services that prints them on glossy
photography-style paper.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk