[Gllug] Logging in iptables and Debian install woes

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Apr 30 14:02:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Mike Brodbelt announced authoritatively:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 11:33:42PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>>> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Richard Jones spake:
>>> Doesn't it support initramfs? (I'm sure I've posted my little RAID+LVM
>>> busybox-based initramfs boot script here before.)
>>
>> I'm sure it probably does.  It's just that we're using Debian/stable,
>> which has some relatively ancient versions of grub etc., and still
>> uses the wretched initrd (which I immediately disabled anyway).
>
> I've got a stable system running with initramfs simply by virtue of
> using a kernel built with make-kpkg. I'm actually using a slightly
> modified version of Nix's initramfs startup script, and build the
> initramfs using buildroot, which makes is pretty simple to build a small
> rootfs linked against uclibc, with utils to manage md, lvm, and xfs
> filesystems. It's a very nice setup.

And it Just Doesn't Break, no matter what you do to the rest of
userspace (as someone who hacks and buggers up his libc on a fairly
regular basis, this is fairly important to me ;) ). Until you rebuild
your kernel, early userspace will just keep functioning.

I've not needed a rescue disk *once* since switching to
initramfs/RAID+LVM (although mind you since that was only in February
and I normally need a rescue disk once every couple of years, this is
hardly conclusive).

(It's nice to know my init script has come in useful to someone other
than me!)

--
`On a scale of 1-10, X's "brokenness rating" is 1.1, but that's only
 because bringing Windows into the picture rescaled "brokenness" by
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk