[Gllug] Logging in iptables and Debian install woes

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 30 11:28:13 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 11:33:42PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Richard Jones spake:
>>> We have a hardware RAID-1 card here.  It seems that grub can't boot
>>> from LVM, and it looked like it was going to be a big pain to build a
>>> Xen-enabled kernel with root partition on LVM
>> Doesn't it support initramfs? (I'm sure I've posted my little RAID+LVM
>> busybox-based initramfs boot script here before.)
>
> I'm sure it probably does.  It's just that we're using Debian/stable,
> which has some relatively ancient versions of grub etc., and still
> uses the wretched initrd (which I immediately disabled anyway).

I've got a stable system running with initramfs simply by virtue of
using a kernel built with make-kpkg. I'm actually using a slightly
modified version of Nix's initramfs startup script, and build the
initramfs using buildroot, which makes is pretty simple to build a small
rootfs linked against uclibc, with utils to manage md, lvm, and xfs
filesystems. It's a very nice setup.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk