[Gllug] Remounting readonly fails

David Godfrey dave at lists.deltass.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 13:45:26 UTC 2006

Tet wrote:
> On 4/4/06, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>

>>>Sure it isnt something silly like a shell having a directory on /usr
>>>as its 'curent working directory'   (hwoever this SHOULD show up in 'fuser').
>>
>>That's most likely, yes.
>

> Nope, for two reasons:
>
> 1. The filesystem had been mounted readonly beforehand. It was
> remounted rw, a yum update was run, then the remount readonly failed.
> In that brief period of time, it's unlikely that any process on the
> system would have a cwd in /usr without me explicitly starting one
> that did. Furthermore, the chances of a process being in the state you
> described, such that it can hide from fuser are vanishingly small
> IMHO.

I don't know anything about fuser but I have often seen remounting /usr
readonly fail. I usually assume it is because I have upgraded a file
that was in use. AAUI, the file cannot be completely deleted until it is
closed. If the change to readonly was allowed, the pending delete would
be lost. I don't know if there is a tool to show files in this state - I
usually just restart any programs I think might have been affected until
the remount is permitted.

HTH

Regards
--