[Gllug] Re: Asterisk

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Wed Apr 5 09:56:39 UTC 2006

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:20:18 +0100
> From: Ben Fitzgerald <ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] Re: Asterisk
> To: Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
>
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 05:14:08PM +0100, David Abbishaw wrote:
>
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:55:21 +0000
>>> From: SteveC <steve at asklater.com>
>>> Subject: [Gllug] Asterisk
>>> To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
>>>

>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I use asterisk as an answering machine mainly, this uses an X100p
>> clone card that I bought for about £15.  When a call comes in if its
>> not answered withing about 25 seconds asterisk takes a messages and
>> emailes a wav file to a distribution list so that the house hold gets
>> the message at various email addresses (home and work etc),  I've also
>> been able to patch it so that the message includes caller ID, although
>> you will need the caller ID service from BT.  This also then gets logged
>> to a csv for later reporting.
>>
>> Doesn't need a beefy machine P400 is plenty.
>>

> Hi David,
>
> don't want to steal Steve's mojo, but I want to hop into this
> interesting thread! I wondered if you also made outgoing pot calls over
> your x100p clone through asterisk, and if so, what the quality was like.
>
> I have seen comments in the past that the diguim cards were the way to go
> but as someone else said, they are not cheap.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.

Ben,

Yes, for a while I used a soft phone (on windows) to make and receive
pots calls, this worked fine, without any echo or delay which was nice.
I also for a short while used the same setup via my adsl line as i was
staying else where for a while and wanted to route my calls to me.  I
also played with forwarding calls and this too worked well, I have two
x100p's and two pots lines so I was able to forward incoming calls on my
man line out to my mobile, although I picked up some of the cost.

There are a couple of problems with the X100p, mostly it doesn't
recognize someones hung up for about 7 seconds, so there are quite a few
times when you get a 7 second voice mail of beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, I can
live with this to be honest as the pucker card is £150ish.

A good place to start  if you want to have a play is
http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ although you may have issues with
caller id if you dont have the pucker card, apparently the small patch
to enable this will bloat the code,. shame its all about selling these days.

There are a couple of other voip servers emerging but Ive not tried, I
set mine up and its been rock solid so Ive not touched it for some time.