[Gllug] /etc/fstab entries

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 15:53:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 15:51 +0100, John Winters wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 15:32 +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> [snip]
> > My experience with XFS has pretty much borne this out - I've only had
> > problems on a couple of occasions, and they've tend to be obvious. I've
> > had the filesystem just vanish, and a log message from the kernel driver
> > saying something like "I don't like what just happening, so I'm stopping
> > the filesystem now, go repair it".
>
> Vanish in the NTFS sense of "Whoops!  You used to have lots of data and
> now you don't." or just temporarily unavailable until you've done the
> fixing?

Temporary only - basically if something happens that the kernel XFS
driver thinks shouldn't, the developers took the view that further
operations on the filesystem could make the situation worse, and so the
kernel takes the filesystem offline, and notifies you it's done so
(console message, IIRR, also viewable in dmesg output). The filesystem
will reappear when you reboot the machine, but if you don't repair ir
and it's still damaged, you'll find it doesn't take long for the driver
to notice and offline it again.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk