[Gllug] OT: unix on windows

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 15:55:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Steve Nelson <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/14/06, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:18:46AM +0100, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just started a new job where the corporate PC runs windows only (plus
>> > this is my first experience with lotus notes but let's not go there!).
>> >
>> > At home and in my last post linux was/is my O/S, so I've not been in
>> > this situation for a while. I'm wondering what gllug users can suggest
>> > to ease the transition.
>
>If there's a corporate windows system, there's a probably a corporate
>IT team and desktop support team.  Messing about with their machine on
>your first week of joining is likely to get people's backs up,
>assuming you even have the privs to do so.  Getting buy-in for the
>corporate windows image installed under xen is also hugely unlikely.

Which brings up the thought that the corporate IT team is where you
are most likely to find a fellow Linux enthusiast. You might try
approaching them - or a selected individual after a bit of observation
- with your problem. I say a selected individual, since asking the
wrong individual may get you a decided and non-negotiable "no". But
approaching the right individual may find you a helping hand,

--
All the best,
 John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk